Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction
FUNCTIONS OF THE CLIMATE CHANGE/ DISASTER RISK REDUCTION (CC/DRR) DEPARTMENT AND ITS EFFECTS ON DISASTER RISK REDUCTION (DRR)
The Climate Change Disaster Risk Department undertakes the under listed functions:
- Collect and collate information on CCA/DRR for dissemination to departments in NADMO and other stakeholders.
- Undertake Education and sensitization on CCA/DRR issues at National, Regional and District levels.
- Liaise with experts and stakeholders (governmental / non-governmental) to formulate and mainstream CC/DRR measures in plans, programmes and policies in response to emerging climate change issues.
- Strengthen district/ regional capacities for planning, development and implementation of Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction programmes.
- Contribute to the effective implementation of the United Nations Conventions and Protocols relating to Climate Change Adaptation and Disaster Risk Reduction.
- Draw up, implement and evaluate Climate Change and Disaster Risk Reduction programmes at all levels of the organization.
EFFECTS OF FUNCTIONS ON DISASTER RISK REDUCTION (DRR)
The effective pursuit of the objectives of the department will complement Ghana Government efforts to create a more resilient society capable of responding and adapting to climate change through a reduction of the level of vulnerability of communities to:
- Environmental challenges such as climate risk, drought, flood, land degradation.
- The Economic impacts such as loss of livelihoods along the coasts, threats to water resources, energy generation and agriculture.
- Socio-cultural challenges such as poverty ,health and gender related issues in DRR.
- It will also assist to identify new opportunities presented to the nation due to the changing phenomena.